Friday 18 March 2011

Question Four : Evaluation

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

 
Through the  development of  Web 2.0 I was able to use  social networking sites  such as Youtube 
 and   Facebook   to plan and evaluate my products effectively.


Pre Production :   

  • The Internet was a very effective resource for researching for my production tasks. YouTube as a video sharing website was  extremely useful when doing my product research; finding  teaser trailers and  film clips. This is due to the vast  change  of development of Web 2.0 technology which enables the audience to become the creators of their own media. Websites such as  YouTube  are encouraging this widespread of  development as it allows the audience to gain easy access to and form of media such as  film trailers  and upload them to the public.
  •  YouTube allowed me to view  a range of different  horror teaser trailers and understand  the conventions of the genre and develop my ideas. 
  • One of the  important forms of media  technology which was new to me was the use of Google Calender  which helped sufficiently  in the construction and planning of my production as I was able to plan ahead of  time and change dates  when  problems occurred. 
Production : 
  
The main form of  media technology I used during my production was as Sony HDV digital camera.  This is because it allowed  me too shoot footage in high  definition (HD) which would overall  make the image look better and more  for the audience. However problems did which occurred during whilst using this camera.  One of which was trying to create a night time  isolated setting I  found that the camera's did not have night vision so I had to re schedule filming so I could create this  effect .  One thing I did find useful  was that I twas able to replay the shots   after I had  film so that I could see if  I would have  to re shoot the scene if it was out focus. 
Post Productions :

One of the great challenges I faced during the construction of my  ancillary texts was using  Photoshop as it was a new   form of media  that I had never used before to edit pictures. I found the use of Photoshop to be   extremely  effective  as I was able to use  particular tools such as the burning tool to lighten and darken my images. I also  was able to use the layering tool  to overlap  text on to both my  film poster and magazine. 





I used Imovie to  edit  my  teaser trailer which I  found to be effective  when editing scenes together.  However one of  things I  decided to do whilst working on my  sound for my teaser trailer was to overlap  different tracks  as I  found that one of them was extremely efficient in building up tension. I also  looked at the sound effects that was   available on Imovie and  discovered that they had  sounds such as a  hear beat which I used to add more  my audience.     

 Web 2.0 allows users to interact and collaborate with each other in a social media dialogue as creators of user-generated content.FontSpace allowed  people do this  as  they were able to create  different  fonts and share them  publicly. This was usefull to me  in the construction of all three of my products as I was able to use it to search any font. In my case I was able to search fonts that were similar to the fonts used in horror films.  
      

  I used Blogger  through the planning and research of my three products.  I was able to record and update my blog with posts on my audience research  and product research. One thing that was  really effective in using blogger was that I was able to  use 'tags'  for each post so that it was easy when going back to find posts to update my progress and  edit saved posts. However one thing that was difficult  about using Blogger was that it was not the best form of  collecting  feedback from my audience on the outcome of my  products. In comparison to social network sites such as  Facebook.


Another media  technology I used  in the construction of my production was Free Play Music   this because the music  I had to use had to be copywright free.  The content on the site user generated and was flexible to  search the type of music  that I need  as I  had to just type in  words such as 'horror'   to find a range of music and sounds that I could use. It also allowed me to preview the tracks before I was certain that I wanted to use it .  However  the content was  quite limited so I had to additional reaserch to find other sounds and as a result  used Imovie to merge them together.

No comments: